Victim identified in deadly hit-and-run on Glenn Highway

The suspect spent the evening drinking with the victim, according to charging documents
Published: Jan. 4, 2021 at 8:05 AM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - The man taken into custody following a deadly hit-and-run incident that left another man dead and closed part of the Glenn Highway Saturday was reportedly a friend of the victim, according to court documents.

Brian Tyler McGee, 25, has been charged thus far with failure to render aid after he reportedly struck and killed the victim — a man he’d earlier kicked out of his car at the South Eagle River exit — with his vehicle.

On Monday, Anchorage police identified the victim as 26-year-old Chase M. Bowerson.

While a release from the Anchorage Police Department said detectives eventually determined that McGee was driving on the Glenn Highway and struck a pedestrian, charging documents detail events starting with McGee and the supposed friend visiting an Eagle River bar and a bar in the Valley on Friday night.

The two men later got into an altercation over money while driving along the highway, according to those same documents, with McGee pulling over and removing the other man from his vehicle on the side of the road.

Multiple passersby called 911 at around 4 a.m. Saturday, documents said, to report a pedestrian in the area of Hiland Road and the highway. Considering the especially cold weather, with temperatures dipping into the single digits, police responded to try and find the man whom drivers had called about.

They found footprints, they said, but little else.

The reports from callers changed by shortly after 8:30 that same morning, however, with police dispatch beginning to receive reports of a possible body on the side of the highway. Again, police responded, and found the man on the side of the road, along with some of his possessions and a bent license plate belonging to McGee’s car. Investigators shut down the road on the south end of Eagle River for about six hours Saturday, subsequently announcing McGee’s arrest Sunday afternoon.

Charging documents also said that after McGee was taken into custody, he told police he’d kicked the victim out of his car, dropped the man’s belongings off at his home — topped with a note handwritten by McGee, referring to the victim as an expletive — and was driving again when he “said he was looking left and hit an object but drove home instead of stopping.” McGee ended up at his own residence, about 14 miles from the scene of the collision, shortly thereafter.

At McGee’s home, police said they found his car with a body-sized dent in the hood, a human head-sized hole through the windshield and other damage to it. During the interview with police, McGee claimed he’d hit a moose, but also made statements such as, “I didn’t see him until after impact,” and, “I was afraid [it was a person],” without inquiring about how the victim was doing.

McGee was last known to be in custody at the Anchorage Correctional Complex. His bond was set on Sunday at $10,000 cash performance. Police said charges additional charges may be forthcoming, and that the investigation remains ongoing.

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated with the identity of the victim as well as to include McGee’s middle name.

Copyright 2021 KTUU. All rights reserved.