Anchorage Fire Department responds to house fire in Bear Valley
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - The Anchorage Fire Department responded to a single family house fire in Bear Valley Sunday morning.
A spokesperson for the fire department said that they received a report at 7:10 a.m., and arrived on scene at Hazel Court nine minutes later. The fire department sent 17 units to battle the fire and have been rotating crews due to the size of the house and the weather, according to the fire department spokesperson.
Firefighters faced several challenges as they worked to extinguish the flames.
“This is a non-hydrant area of Anchorage. So we have to bring the water to the fire,” said Battalion Chief Mike Davidson. “We’ve been using our fire apparatus to carry water, our water tenders to bring water here.”
But the water from the hoses brought a different problem.
“We’ve had to deal with some of our hose lines freezing, some of the things on our apparatus freezing up,” Davidson said.
He and the other firefighters dealt with another issue, one not related to the cold.
“Because the structure had suffered such extensive damage during the fire, we’ve had to fight the fire mostly from the exterior of the structure because the structure is too unstable for us to enter the building,” Davidson said.
The family that lives in the house managed to escape, according to Davidson. There have been no reports of any injuries. Investigators said it is still too early to say what sparked the fire.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Copyright 2021 KTUU. All rights reserved.