Anchorage man wanted in connection to double homicide arrested in New York

An Anchorage man who was wanted in connection with a double homicide case has been arrested in New York.
Published: Apr. 20, 2022 at 10:56 AM AKDT|Updated: Apr. 20, 2022 at 5:50 PM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - An Anchorage man who was wanted in connection with a double homicide case has been arrested in New York state, according to the Anchorage Police Department.

An updated community alert Wednesday morning said that 39-year-old Jalonni Blackshear was taken into custody. Police did not specify where in New York he was arrested but praised those who provided information to investigators for helping track down Blackshear, who was considered armed and dangerous.

Anchorage police said a 35-year-old woman and a 14-year-old teen girl were found dead Friday in a home on Resurrection Drive near Race Circle, in the Scenic Foothills neighborhood of Northeast Anchorage.

On Tuesday, the family of the victims identified the woman as Jalonni Blackshear’s wife Raechyl Blackshear and the girl as Jayla Blackshear, their daughter.

Jalonni Blackshear was a correctional officer, who had been “separated from state employment” from the Department of Corrections on April 6, 2022, according to a department spokesperson.

According to reporting by NBC New York, Jalonni Blackshear was taken into custody on Staten Island by Homeland Security Officers.

The initial discovery of the bodies by Anchorage police led investigators to label the deaths as suspicious, before upgrading it to a homicide investigation. Police on Saturday asked for the public’s help locating Jalonni Blackshear, saying that he had active warrants, but they did not link him to the deaths at that time.

A criminal complaint and warrant for Jalonni Blackshear’s arrest show that he was accused of sexually abusing his daughter, Jayla, in late March. After DNA samples were taken from him as part of an investigation initiated when the teen and her mother reported the incident, Jalonni Blackshear resigned his Alaska Police Standards Council Corrections Officer Commission and left the state, according to a sworn affidavit signed by Detective J. Kleinsmith.

The warrant for Jalonni Blackshear’s arrest was requested on April 13. Raechyl and Jayla Blackshear were found dead by Anchorage police two days later on April 15.

Raechyl Blackshear had last been seen on April 1, according to a family member. Concerned family and coworkers asked police to make a welfare check on the home.

Raechyl Blackshear was a nurse and was described by her cousin, Shannon Thompson, as a smart woman who loved her daughter, and a “rock star mom.” Thompson described Jayla Blackshear as a “beautiful spirit” whose death is being deeply felt by the students she went to school with.

According to an email from the Alaska Department of Law, charges have not yet been filed in the deaths of Raechyl and Jayla Blackshear. Assistant Attorney General Daniel Cacciatore said in the email that Jalonni Blackshear is being detained on a federal warrant for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution and that he will be brought back to Alaska on that warrant.

Editor’s note: This article has been updated with additional details.

Copyright 2022 KTUU. All rights reserved.