17 units respond to Spenard hotel fire
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - A hotel on Spenard Road went up in flames Sunday morning, leaving many looking for temporary shelter.
The Anchorage Fire Department responded with 17 units to 4300 Spenard Road at 5:50 a.m., according to department spokesperson Alex Boyd. Photos circulating online showed flames on the roof of the America’s Best Value Inn and Suites on Spenard.
Boyd said there were no reported injuries or deaths in the blaze, which was brought under control at 7:24 a.m.
Boyd said the fire was discovered in the overhead and third floor attic space of the building, which was promptly evacuated. A firefighter on the scene told Alaska’s News Source that firefighting crews stayed on scene for hours due to insulation in the roof area that is highly flammable and easy to spark.
He said while crews completed mop-up efforts, the American Red Cross of Alaska was on location to help those displaced by the fire. Boyd did not say how many people were affected, but a firefighter on scene told Alaska’s News Source that between 10 to 20 were counted as being evacuated out of the building, and said people were being directed to the Spenard Community Recreation Center if they needed shelter.
Taylar Sausen, a spokesperson with the Red Cross in Alaska, said Monday that a team initially responded to the blaze Sunday to help out anyone affected by it, but ultimately offered no services as no one was displaced from their permanent residence. She added that the recreation center on Spenard was never opened for use as a shelter for the fire.
“Our disaster action team volunteers were informed that anyone that was displaced was able to find alternate accommodations either within the hotel or elsewhere,” Sausen said.
This story has been updated with additional information.
Copyright 2022 KTUU. All rights reserved.