Grand jury indicts 2 following fatal house fire in Southwest Alaska

Two people have been charged following a fatal house fire in the Southwest Alaska village of Kalsag.
Published: Jan. 2, 2023 at 2:19 PM AKST|Updated: Jan. 13, 2023 at 12:43 PM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPPER KALSKAG, Alaska (KTUU) - A grand jury indicted a Kalskag man Tuesday with murder and arson, among other charges, along with his girlfriend, following the deaths of two people who were discovered among the remains of a house fire in Upper Kalskag on Dec. 30, 2022.

According to Alaska State Troopers, 26-year-old Levi D. Levi was charged Jan. 1, but was indicted by a grand jury Jan. 10 in Bethel on nine separate felony counts, including:

  • Six counts of second-degree murder
  • One count of first-degree arson
  • Two counts of third-degree assault

Levi had previously been charged with multiple murder, arson and assault charges, as well as violating his felony probation. Levi was given $500,000 bail.

Additionally, 18-year-old Alexandria Evan — Levi’s girlfriend who was originally charged with two counts of third-degree assault — was indicted for one count of third-degree assault.

The two were arrested following a report on Dec. 30 of a disturbance in the rural community located on the Kuskokwim River. Troopers say they received an “active disturbance” report around 8:30 a.m. involving a person in the home with a knife with the family barricaded in a bedroom.

As they were responding, troopers say they got another report of the house on fire.

Levi and Evan both pulled a knife in a house with several people present, according to a release from the Department of Law. Later, Levi set the home on fire.

Troopers with the Bethel Patrol and Western Major Crimes Unit arrived and later found the remains of two individuals in the burned house, which they reported as being a total loss. The remains are being sent to the State Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy and identification.

Levi and Evan are both scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 17 at 9 a.m. in Bethel Superior Court.

This story has been updated with additional information.