'No honor among thieves,' says judge sentencing criminals who stole multiple ATMs

Published: Oct. 10, 2017 at 12:17 PM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Statistically, 2017 was

and of those many thefts, some weren't localized to small businesses and small machines. Banks in Anchorage saw their full sized machines

and hauled away on stolen trucks, leaving huge holes in the walls.

Four people were found responsible and sentenced for multiple ATM thefts from banks dating back to early 2017 and the tail end of 2016. Their names are Christi Cozzetti, Jordan Cook, Adrian Turnbow, and Jerd Thacker. These people

Now, months later, the four have been sentenced for their respective crimes.

According to prosecutors, Turnbow, Thacker, Cook, and Cozzetti all played various roles in the perpetrating of the stolen ATMs from Anchorage-area banks Alaska USA, Denali FCU, and two First National branches.

Turnbow, 26, was sentenced to 30 months in prison, with three years of supervision after he is released. Additionally he is ordered to pay restitution over $450,000 to banks and credit unions which he damaged. In a news release issued Tuesday, prosecutors noted the judge's comments on the seriousness of the crime. "Judge Burgess noted at Turnbow’s sentencing that his crimes were serious and caused ripples of problems across the community, as customers could not use the ATMs at their banks and banks lost customers," they wrote.

Cozzetti, 29, was sentenced to 18 months in prison, followed by a similar period of three years of supervised release. The judge noted her “terrible” criminal history and that this sentence would protect the public from her future crimes.

Thacker, 28, was sentenced to 12 months with an additional three years of supervised release and 200 hours of community work service. Thacker notoriously re-stole the already stolen ATM from Turnbow. The judge called this an example of the old adage, “no honor among thieves.”

Cook, 29, received the lightest sentence of just seven months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release and 200 hours of community work service.

Acting U.S. Attorney Schroder commended the various law enforcement group that helped bring the four to justice and successfully prosecute them.