UPDATE: Investigators say Alaska woman 'had been decapitated' by son

Travis Reed was held in custody after being arrested for first degree murder. Fairbanks Jail...
Travis Reed was held in custody after being arrested for first degree murder. Fairbanks Jail video from KTVF. (KTUU)
Published: Nov. 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
10:00 a.m. Update:

In newly obtained charging documents, investigators described grisly details about what they found at the Loon Lane home while conducting a welfare check on Vivian Osborne.

"She had numerous puncture wounds and had been decapitated," a trooper sergeant wrote in his report.

Troopers described the suspect, Travis Reed, who was arrested for murder charges, as being "known" to them for having "extensive drug history and mental health issues."

When troopers found him in the home, down the hall from where Osborne's body was discovered, he was naked and had blood on his feet.

Troopers say he told investigators that he was "the father of the universe," that he "had to do it," and that his mother was a "werewolf."

The welfare check was requested by the victim's other son, who had a conversation with his mother two days prior. In that conversation, Osborne said Reed had knocked her glasses off, and that she intended to kick him out of the house.

The other son said Osborne begged him not to call the police, and told him that she would call him back. When she never did, he contacted troopers.

Original Story:

Over the weekend, one woman was killed and her son has been arrested for her murder, authorities said in a report released on Monday.

According to the Alaska State Troopers, Vivian Osborne, 59, of North Pole, was found dead inside a home. Officers broke the door down after no one responded to them. It was at this time that troopers found the body, and Osborne's son, Travis Reed, 33, of Fairbanks.

Reed was inside a locked bedroom in the home, and was later arrested by troopers on first degree murder charges for allegedly killing his mother. He was then taken to the Fairbanks Correction Center.

Exactly how Osborne died is not known. Timothy Despain, a spokesperson with AST, said that the medical examiner will determine what caused her death.

Troopers said they were initially notified by a family member of Osborne, who called AST on Sunday stating that they had not heard from her for several days.

During that call, troopers say the family member also notified them that Reed may be home and on drugs. "It was also reported that Osborne’s son Travis Reed may be at the residence and may be under the influence of methamphetamine," troopers wrote in the report.

Troopers did not immediately respond to questions as to whether or not Reed was in fact on methamphetamine at the time.

Osborne's body will be sent to the State medical Examiner for an autopsy. Troopers say they continue to investigate this case.