APD: Suspect in court for shooting a man trying to break up a fight in Fairview

Published: Nov. 25, 2018 at 3:11 PM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A Fairview laundromat owner appeared in court on Sunday accused of shooting a man who came to break up a fight inside his store.

Saturday evening the Anchorage Police Department

Police responded to City Laundromat on Gambell St. for a reported shooting. Police found Christopher Christian on the ground with a gunshot wound to his stomach, according to court documents. APD says Tell Wohltmann had a bleeding wound to his forehead, from an unknown cause.

Fue T. Yang, 40, appeared in court on charges of reckless endangerment, and assault in the first and second degree, accused of shooting Christian.

In the report, Christian said Yang and Wohltmann were inside the laundromat fighting around 5:30 p.m. Wohltmann told police he was homeless and went inside the laundromat to warm up.

Yang told detectives that Wohltmann came into his shop and that he tried to kick him out.

Christian reportedly went inside the laundromat to break up the fight, that's when Yang pulled out a gun and shot Christian, according to court documents.

APD say Yang told detectives that Wohltmann threatened to beat him up. Yang though said he thought Wohltmann had a handgun under his blanket.

According to court documents, surveillance video footage from the laundromat shows Wohltmann sitting down on a bench inside. Wohltman then walks to the door with Yang following him.

Police say the surveillance video footage shows Yang striking Wohltmann with the magazine of the handgun, while Wohltmann attempted to kick and strike Yang. Christian is seen attempting to intervene, say police.

Immediately upon attempting to break up the fight, the gun appeared to fire, hitting Christian, police said. How Wohltmann came to have a bleeding forehead was not detailed in court documents.

According to City Laundromat's website, Fue Yang is the CEO and founder of City Laundromat in downtown Anchorage.

On Sunday, a judge set Yang's bail totaling $20,000.