Construction in Anchorage: What areas to watch out for, and some to avoid, this weekend
Some Alaskans know the old saying: there are two seasons in the state, winter and construction. As summer rolls on, construction companies will push to keep on track with projects needing completion before winter comes.
Whether that translates to the need for a significant change in your commute route is up to you, but knowing about the traffic adjustments is the first step.
Here's a break down of where construction is happening in the city (and outside of the city, for those driving out of Anchorage this weekend).
On the Department of Transportation's 511 website, drivers can find a map with detailed information on construction sites in Anchorage.
Some projects just involve flaggers and crews working on the shoulders, some will have single lane closures, and some are all-out road closures with detours.
Here's a list of the projects currently going on in the city, and how they will affect drivers right now.
- Repaving on Rabbit Creek Road from Old Seward Highway to Hillside Drive (Lane restrictions, flagging operations)
- Install guardrails, surfacing and striping on Brayton Drive between De Armoun Road and O'Malley Road (Road closed. Look for detour signs)
- O'Malley Road from the Seward Highway to Livingston Street (Some lane restrictions, paving and striping)
- Abbott Road from Elmore Road to Birch Road (Flagging operations)
- C Street, from 40th Avenue to Minnesota Drive, south to Peninsula Circle, just beyond the roundabouts (Intermittent lane closures, restrictions)
- Homer Drive is CLOSED from 71st Avenue to 76th Avenue and 68th Avenue to 80th Avenue. Drivers please plan to use Briarwood Street as a DETOUR route.
- Brayton Drive is CLOSED from Lore Road to 68th Avenue. Please plan to use Meadow Street as a DETOUR route.
- The northbound Seward Highway On-Ramp from Lore Road is CLOSED.
- Increase intersection safety at Lake Otis Parkway and 68th Avenue (Some lane restrictions)
- Dowling Road between Old Seward Highway and Lake Otis Parkway(Lane closures, some delays)
- Beginning 8:00pm Friday, August 24 through approximately 6:00am Monday, August 27, Tudor Road at the New Seward Highway overpass will be CLOSED.
- Intersections of 4th Avenue and Ingra Street, and Latouche Street and 36th Avenue (Construction crews on shoulder)
- The pathway along the south side of Benson Boulevard between Minnesota Drive and Arctic Boulevard will be CLOSED until the end of August.
- C Street pavement and upgrade urban curb ramps. (Construction zone, possible lane closures)
- Glenn Highway and Muldoon Road Interchange over the course of three construction seasons (2016 - 2018)(Lane closures and flagging operations)
For those headed north out of Anchorage to go to the Alaska State Fair (or elsewhere), and those driving south out of town towards Girdwood, several other construction operations are ongoing.
- Repaving the Glenn Highway from Anchorage to the Parks-Glenn Interchange. Project work will include milling and resurfacing the mainline driving lanes of the Glenn Highway from the Eklutna Interchange (Lane Restrictions). Pruhs Construction, the contractor for this job, says it will not be restricting lanes this weekend unless an emergency arises.
- Glenn Highway from Outer Springer Loop to Inner Springer Loop closed intermittently (In effect until Oct 31, 2018)
- Improve road conditions on the Seward Highway from MP 75 to 90 (Expect reduced speeds and ONE-LANE TRAFFIC with PILOT CAR and flagging operations)
- Resurface several segments of roadway near Portage, Alaska, including Portage Glacier Road, Whittier Access Road, Portage Visitor Center Road, and more (Work on this project has been suspended until after the Labor Day weekend)