Demolition begins on housing complex that went up in flames, killing three

(KTUU)
Published: Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:05 AM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

It's been more than six months since the Royal Suite Lodge went up in flames, killing three people and injuring others while firefighters worked tirelessly on controlling the blaze.

On that morning in February,

Demolition, which was

got underway Monday afternoon with a full wrecking crew and a local demolition team.

The building itself was so seriously damaged by the fire that much of it was already in a state of decay and destruction. Dozens of residents were displaced as the structure was deemed a total loss and not suitable for human habitation.

Officials with the Anchorage Fire Department said at the time that it was one of the worst fires they've seen in years, with some tenants jumping from windows from the third story of the building.

The fire was officially labeled a criminal investigation by investigators with the Anchorage Police Department, which has said it was a case of arson and homicide. So far, no one has been found responsible for the fire or arrested in the homicide deaths of the three victims.

Demolition of the building is scheduled to continue into this week. However for some, even after the building has been fully destroyed, there will not be real closure until those responsible are found.