UPDATE: Victim identified in Wednesday's fatal shooting incident

Published: Apr. 19, 2017 at 7:44 AM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

APD has released more information regarding the early morning shooting in midtown that left one woman dead and one man injured.

Authorities now say that Brittanymae P. Haag, 22, was the woman who was shot at an apartment complex on the 5600 block of Lake Otis.

They say Haag asked a neighbor to call police and tell them there had been a shooting. Police found Haag at the residence and she was transported to the hospital, however she succumbed to her injuries and was later pronounced dead.

The man, who also suffered a gunshot wound, has not yet been identified, however police say he was Haag's boyfriend, and shared the apartment with her. His injury remains classified as "life-threatening."

The nature of the shooting has not been confirmed by authorities, however APD said that everyone involved has been contacted.

This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is known.

One woman was pronounced dead Wednesday following an early morning shooting altercation at an apartment building on Lake Otis Parkway.

Officers on scene said that neighbors heard gunshots from the apartment, and then called 911. A man and a woman were rushed to the hospital from the scene; the woman eventually died from her injuries. The condition of the man and the severity of his injuries is still unknown.

When KTUU asked if this event was the result of a murder-suicide, police said they could not yet confirm that as the investigation is ongoing. However, APD did say that they are not currently looking for any other suspects.

Lieutenant McKinnon with the Anchorage Police Department said that the event appears to be domestic related, and that no one else was inside the apartment at the time of the shooting.

Police initially released news of the incident via a community Nixle alert, where they warned people to avoid the area near the 5600 block of Lake Otis while authorities conducted a “death investigation” at the residence.

McKinnon said that the area is open, and that the investigation is continuing.