Fairbanks murder suspect arrested in Anchorage

Published: Jul. 2, 2018 at 9:56 AM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A 27-year-old was found shot to death in South Fairbanks on Saturday. The following day, thanks to a coordinated effort, the man suspected to have killed him was arrested by Anchorage police.

The Arrest In Anchorage

According to law enforcement, Joshua Vos, 38, was arrested Sunday night after he was located in Anchorage in a car parked outside of the Backpackers Inn on Eagle Street.

Officers with the patrol division found him and ordered him to get out of the car. He refused, and was then tased.

APD said in a community alert that officers tased Vos, taking him into custody on first degree murder charges. In addition to Vos, another man, 61-year-old John Kelly, was also arrested due to strange circumstances at the scene.

According to police, when Vos refused to exit his vehicle, a perimeter was drawn around the scene. At that time, a man later identified as Kelly walked right into the scene, and ignored officers commands for him to stop.

"the male headed towards the homicide suspect putting himself in danger and endangering the officers," APD said in a statement. Kelly, too, was arrested at the scene.

The Killing In Fairbanks

The murder, which relates to the shooting death of Richard Wayne Robinson, 27, took place at 1122 21st Avenue.

Fairbanks police spokesperson Yumi McCulloch issued a news release Monday morning outlining the finer details in the case of Robinson's death and how Vos was thought to be involved.

Previously, information was scarce on how the killing took place, other than that

According to FPD's release, Vos kicked in the door of the home, wielding a handgun. There, police say he confronted Robinson, accusing him of "having sexual relations with Vos' girlfriend."

The argument escalated, and Vos pointed the gun at Robinson, allegedly shooting him once. Police say the bullet entered Robinson's arm, and then traveled into his chest, killing him.

Though paramedics attempted to save him after arriving at the home, they were unsuccessful, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Vos then took off, reportedly heading to Delta Junction. Troopers were then involved, and warned to look for him.

Not finding him in Delta Junction, FPD detectives then determined that Vos had fled to Anchorage, and involved APD in the case, who eventually found him at the Backpackers Inn.