UPDATE: Man allegedly rammed police vehicles prior to being shot by Fairbanks law enforcement

Published: May. 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Update 4:50 p.m.:

Alaska State Troopers have identified the man who was shot and killed by authorities as 23-year-old Shawn Buck of Fairbanks.

The dispatch says that the names of the officers involved in the shooting won't be released, until another approximate 72 hours.

Update - 9:30 a.m.:

Authorities in Fairbanks say that the man shot and killed by authorities, who has still not been identified yet, was threatening officers before they opened fire.

Lieutenant Brian Wassmann, with Alaska State Troopers said, "The suspect proceeded to ram an occupied Fairbanks Police Department vehicle and Alaska State Trooper vehicle."

Wassmann identified this act of aggression as the incident that led up to the shooting of the suspect.

The officers who fired the shots the shots that eventually killed the suspect have not been identified. Authorities said they will release their identities after a 72 hour probationary period.

It is not yet known when the suspect will be identified.

This is a developing story and will be updated when more information becomes available.

Original Story:

A man passes away after succumbing to his injuries during shooting with law enforcement officers in Fairbanks

Shortly after 3 p.m. on Thursday, Alaska State Troopers in Fairbanks say they spotted a person with known warrants and attempted to conduct a traffic stop.

AST says the man took off. That's when officers with the Fairbanks Police Department responded to assist.

Law enforcement officers stopped the man's vehicle at the Mitchell Expressway on-ramp.

According to AST, around 4 p.m. shots were fired. That's when the suspect was taken to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital for his injuries which troopers classified as life-threatening.

The man died from his injuries at the hospital. The Alaska Bureau of Investigation will take over responsibility for this case.

The on-ramp from Northbound Richardson to Mitchell and Southbound Mitchell will be closed for several hours for the on-scene investigation.