UPDATE: Police name victim in Sunday's 'unprovoked shooting' homicide

Published: Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:06 AM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
8:40 a.m. Update:

Anchorage police say they have identified the victim of Sunday's shooting as Devan McDonald, 22. MJ Thim, spokesperson with APD, said that McDonald was "resting in a bedroom when he was shot."

Thim called the violence an "unprovoked shooting," and stated that Kuach allegedly entered a bedroom where McDonald was lying down, shot the man, and left.

Several other witnesses were inside the home at the time of the shooting. They were all taken in to police custody for questioning, however Kuach remains the only suspect in the case, APD said.

Monday, police didn't say how Kuach was related to McDonald, or what potentially could have motivated the homicide.

Original Story:

In the early morning hours Monday, Anchorage police warned residents to avoid the area of 20th Ave and Juneau Drive, while officers tried to arrest a man

The suspect, identified as 20-year-old Kuach Chuol Kuach was labeled "armed and dangerous" after a reported shooting at 2:15 p.m. on Sunday. APD issued a community alert Monday at 2:30 a.m. stating that SWAT would be deployed in an attempt to apprehend him.

SWAT and K9 units responded to the home on the 1600 block of Juneau Drive where Kuach was apparently located with family present. Initially, he refused to leave the house, and that's when APD called in SWAT. Police say it was not a hostage situation, and that following negotiations with Kuach, he "surrendered peacefully."

A man, who has not yet been identified, was found shot to death inside an apartment on Sunday. No motive was identified in that apparent murder, but Kuach was named the suspect. MJ Thim, spokesperson for APD, called the shooting an "isolated incident" and said there was no threat to the public.

Police cordoned off the area early Monday morning, blocking both entrances of the street on either side of Kuach's location. The area has since been re-opened to traffic following his arrest.

KTUU previously reported on Kuach,

Chaduer was killed after the car the two men were in crashed head-on into a truck, and Chaduer was ejected. Before the car crash, however the two were allegedly firing weapons at another vehicle, which was in turn occupied by people firing back at them.

Kuach was named a manslaughter suspect in his contribution to Chaduer's death. He later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, third degree misconduct with a weapon.

As for the Sunday homicide, little information is known, including the identity of the man who was killed. This story will be updated with that information.