Suspect arraigned for Thanksgiving day murder of sister with child on lap

 Moses Crowe at his arraignment on Nov. 29, 2019.
Moses Crowe at his arraignment on Nov. 29, 2019. (KTUU)
Published: Nov. 29, 2019 at 3:55 PM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The suspect in a

that left the suspect's sister dead was arraigned on Friday for second-degree murder.

According to the criminal complaint, several people were gathered at a residence on McCarrey Street in East Anchorage for a Thanksgiving dinner.

One witness who was interviewed by police said that the suspect, Moses Crowe, had been at the residence since about 10 a.m. that morning when he arrived after a night of drinking.

According to the witness, who was also the suspect's grandmother, Crowe came in the room "mouthing off" about his dog, which another person had taken from him.

When the witness made a comment about him caring more about his dog than he cares about his children, Crowe reportedly started talking about how angry he was at his sister, 23-year-old Amanda Owen, for blocking or unfriending him on Facebook.

At this point, the witness says she saw Crowe take out something from his pocket. At first, the witness couldn't see what it was, but then Crowe pointed a black handgun directly at his sister's head. The witness said that when the handgun went off, the victim fell to the ground with her young son still on her lap.

The witness said that Crowe said, "I'm gonna go to jail for life."

Crowe left the apartment, and as he was leaving, he asked the witness not to call police, according to the witness.

Police received a call around 3 p.m. and arrived to find the victim in critical condition and the suspect at large. The victim was transported to the hospital, where she eventually died from her injuries.

After Crowe was located by a police K9 track, he told police at an interview at Anchorage Police Department headquarters that he was twirling his handgun around his finger when it went off.

Throughout the interview, police say that Crowe insisted that the shooting was an accident. He confirmed that the gun he had was the one that was used in the shooting.

Crowe faces a sentence of 15-99 years in prison. His bail is set to $500,000.

Copyright 2019 KTUU. All rights reserved.