UPDATE: Naked Wasilla man surrenders following mud flat chase

 Alaska State Troopers (KTUU News)
Alaska State Troopers (KTUU News) (KTUU)
Published: May. 16, 2018 at 5:40 PM AKDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Update 9 a.m. May 17:

The man who reportedly stripped naked and entered the mud flats has been located and arrested, troopers said Thursday.

Shortly after the pursuit, which according to AST, was more of a monitoring than a real pursuit, Jeremiah Hoover, 38, reportedly surrendered to authorities at around 9:15 p.m. Wednesday night.

Megan Peters, spokesperson for AST, said Hoover was taken to the hospital with cold weather-related injuries, and then transported to Mat-Su Pretrial.

"Troopers couldn’t safely approach him or approach him without him potentially harming himself (running into the water)," Peters wrote Thursday.

AST reportedly couldn't specify what made the man remove his clothing during the incident.

The domestic incident that sparked the situation was initially reported due to those present fearing Hoover, and trying to evict him.

Update 8 p.m. May 16:

In an on-line dispatch Wednesday night, Alaska State Troopers released more details about the incident and said the search for the man who walked out on the mudflats had been called off..

AST said at approximately 2:18 p.m., AST received a report of a disturbance at a residence on Knik Goose Bay in Wasilla.

Troopers say the complainant said she was evicting a tenant. 38 year old Jeremiah Hoover of Wasilla, and Hoover was allegedly causing a disturbance.

Troopers say they were aware Hoover was violating conditions of release by being at the residence. AST attempted to contact Hoover but he fled to the rear of the property in his truck.

Troopers say Hoover abandoned the truck and was tracked by a K9. When the K9 found him, officials say Hoover shed his clothes and walked naked out onto the mud flats.

An AST helicopter, EMS, and fire rescue responded to the scene and water rescue was put on standby.

Numerous attempts were made to contact and apprehend Hoover but were unsuccessful, according to the trooper dispatch.

Efforts to make contact with Hoover were abandoned because of safety concerns, according to officials.

AST says Hoover was last seen walking on the grassy area near the mud flats. Charges will be forwarded to the district attorney's office, AST said.

Original Story:

Alaska State Troopers are searching the mud flats on the west side of Knik Arm for a man who was fleeing from them, but now there are concerns for his safety.

Alaska State Troopers were called to a residence at a home off Knik-Goose Bay Road, near Wasilla, just after 2:15 Wednesday afternoon. As a trooper arrived, one man involved in the incident pulled out of the driveway in a white GMC, and wouldn’t stop for the Trooper when they tried to talk to him.

Troopers found the vehicle abandoned behind the property on the ridgeline, and the trooper could see the man walking near the water by some crushed cars. The man took off his shirt and went out onto the mudflats at about 4 p.m. a Troopers spokesperson said in an email.

Troopers also learned that a warrant had been issued for the man earlier in the day.

A K9 and a Troopers helicopter are involved in the search.

Channel 2 has a crew on the way to the scene of the search. This story will be updated.