UPDATE: Police identify man shot, killed in midtown Anchorage

Published: Jan. 22, 2019 at 8:27 AM AKST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Update 9 a.m. Jan. 23

Authorities have identified the man who died from a gunshot wound early Tuesday morning.

The victim was Omar Mandour, 24, according to the Anchorage Police Department.

Criminal charges could still be filed in this case, but currently the only named suspect has not been formally charged. The investigation is ongoing.

Updated 4 p.m. Jan. 22:

Anchorage's District Attorney says charges will not be filed against a woman arrested early Tuesday morning for the death of a man in Anchorage.

John Novak says based upon the investigation, the prosecutor's office and Anchorage Police decided not to file charges against the woman. She was first arrested because a gun being passed around at a gathering went off while she was holding it, killing the man who brought the gun in the first place.

Novak said since no charges were filed, the woman will be released sometime Tuesday afternoon.

If more information is discovered in the investigation that warrants charges, Novak said the woman could be charged in the future.

Original Story:

A woman is behind bars and charged with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide.

According to Anchorage police, dispatch received an initial report of a suicide at 12:30 a.m. in the 1200 block of LaTouche Street. Officers with the Patrol Division found an adult male inside an apartment shot in the upper body. He was transported to a local hospital and died.

The preliminary investigation found that a group of adults and juveniles was inside the apartment. The victim pulled out a handgun he had brought to the residence. Multiple people began to pass the gun around and were handling it. At some point, the gun was being handled by an adult female and a shot was fired. The bullet struck the victim.

The suspect has been identified as 26-year-old Marilyn Tilo-Maiava.

Communications Director for APD, MJ Thim said the initial report came in as a suicide, but after police continued to interview witnesses, they were able to put together what happened and charged the woman.

The victim’s identification is not being released at this time pending next of kin procedures.

Alcohol and drugs are believed to be a factor in this investigation. Continue to check back as this is a developing story.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect the accurate spelling of the suspect's name, which was initially misspelled by police, along with her correct age, which is 26.